There are 2 kinds of tooth stains. One is internal, while the other is external.
External stains are found on the tooth surface. They may be caused by tobacco, tartar, and colored food and drink. Some drinks that cause stains are coffee, tea, red wine, and dark-colored sodas.
Internal stains are those found beneath the surface of your tooth. They may be caused by aging, excessive fluoride intake, and certain kinds of medicine.
At-home whitening treatments you can buy at the store
- Whitening strips get rid of internal stains. These strips stick to teeth, allowing a whitening agent to work its way into the tooth.
- Place whitening strips on top and bottom teeth
- Wear the strips for up to 30 minutes or as instructed by packaging
- A whitening toothpaste can take away surface stains if used often. Every time you brush with a whitening paste, you are preventing stains that can be caused by food, drinks, tobacco, or plaque buildup.
Professional whitening At the dentist
Your dental professional can offer you helpful in-office tooth whitening options. These include gels and whitening lights.
The gels contain high levels of peroxide that penetrate teeth to reduce staining. Talk to your dental professional to learn more about in-office whitening treatments.
- Whitening gel will be put on your front teeth
- The gel is left on for 15 to 20 minutes and then washed off
At-home treatments prescribed by your dental professional
You can also whiten your smile at home with products prescribed by your dental office.
Your dental professional will make a mold of your teeth and then give you a clear plastic tray made just for you. At home, you will fill your custom-made tray with whitening gel. This gel will stay on your teeth for at least an hour.
- Put the whitening gel inside your custom-made tray
- Wear the tray for at least 1 hour
Quick tips for stain prevention
- Brush and floss twice daily to prevent plaque and tartar buildup and remove surface stains.
- Cut back on dark foods and drinks such as berries, coffee, tea, and red wine.
- Avoid smoking or chewing tobacco.
- Use whitening products such as whitening toothpaste and strips.
- Visit your dental professional every 6 months for a regular dental cleaning.
Call Alivio Dental to schedule an appointment today! Proudly serving patients from Downers Grove, IL, Lisle, IL, Darien, IL, Lombard, IL, Clarendon Hills, IL, Bollingbrook, IL, Woodridge, IL, Westmont, IL, La Grange, IL and Wheaton, IL communities now.
Credits: The Procter & Gamble Company